Saturday, February 13, 2010

Excellent Dairy-free Cinnamon Rolls!!

My husband did something really, really awful to me this morning. He made a pan of cinnamon roles from scratch that smelled like heaven and looked like a Swedish vacation. I can only assume that they tasted like a day at the beach, but I couldn't have any because he used BUTTER!! And milk and yogurt... ugh.
But his foray into sweet, sticky baking produced one desired side effect: I had forgotten that there was a dairy-free cinnamon roll recipe that I had been meaning to try. This morning's kitchen aromas were just the motivation I needed to find that recipe and get to it! Of course, I couldn't find the exact recipe I thought I'd saved, but it wasn't too hard to find another one. However, it didn't take long to notice that the wet:dry ingredient ratios were off, the oven temp was missing, etc, etc. So here's what I did, based off of the incomplete and incorrect recipe that I found (from where I couldn't even tell you it came):

3 c all-purpose flour
1 pkg quick-rise yeast
1/4 to 1/2 t salt
2 1/2 T sugar 1 c rice milk or water (or milk, if you're luckier than I)
1/4 c oil (I used canola)
2 T butter substitute (I'm not sure if oil would work here or not)
4-6 T sugar
1-1/2 t cinnamon
1 or 2 cups of thin powdered sugar drizzle

1. In a large bowl, combine 2 c flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt. Add the milk (warmed to 120-130F) and oil. Mix with a spoon until combined.
2. Add the remaining 1 c flour and stir well. Add more flour if necessary (probably will be). Dough will be sticky, but you should be able to pick it up out of the bowl without it falling out of your hands and making a huge mess. Knead 6-8 minutes. Divide in half and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Roll each ball of dough out on a floured surface into a rectangle until it's around 1/2 inch thick. It will measure around 8 or 10 inches by 14 or 16 inches. Go thicker or thinner if you want. That's a personal preference.
4. Combine 4-6 T sugar and cinnamon. On each rectangle, spread about a tablespoon of butter substitute. Sprinkle half the sugar/cinnamon mixture on each rectangle. Roll them up, starting at either end, depending on how thick/how many rolls you want.
5. Slice the logs into rolls. I went about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. Arrange them in a lightly greased pan. I used a glass pie plate, and it was the perfect size for the whole batch. Bake at 375F for 18-22 minutes.
6. Cover them with thin powdered sugar icing. This is just powdered sugar and vanilla thinned out with milk [substitute] to the desired consistency. If you can manage, let them cool for a few minutes. If not, dig in.
If you have any additions, corrections, comments, suggestions, or stories of your own cinnamon rolls, let's talk! This was the first time I've ever made these, and they were GREAT! I actually ate almost half the plate in their first hour out of the oven. I'm ashamed to say that three were gone when I pulled them out a little early and they were still partly raw. I just couldn't stop! SO GOOD!

No comments: