Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Oh, I'm in real Trouble now...

I'm still off dairy (and it's still helping my skin!) and have really been missing brownies. I used to make them two, maybe three times a week. For some reason--probably because I've been preoccupied with figuring out other non-dairy recipes and techniques--I just now realized that our favorite brownie recipe perfectly converts to non-dairy!



Oh, boy, am I in trouble! I think I ate half the plate by myself within an hour of pulling them from the oven. Ugh. I feel a weight gain coming on...


Here's the evolved recipe, converted from Good Housekeeping's

Cocoa Brownies

1. Combine 1/2 c all-purpose flour, 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl. Sift it, stir it with a whisk--however you prefer to swish it all together. Just remember that cocoa powder's active state is AIRBORNE!
2. Combine 6 T oil (I used olive, I'm sure many others would work), 1 c white granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Stir them all together well, and then add the flour/cocoa mixture. Again, be careful! It will fly. Everywhere.
4. When that's all mixed together, you've got a couple of options. Either stir in nuts, cherries, dried fruit, non-dairy chocolate chips, etc if you want them, then spread it in the greased pan (or pie plate), OR spread it in the pan and then sprinkle your flare on top. *
5. If you want, after it's all in the pan, drizzle a non-dairy (ex: Hershey's) chocolate syrup over the top of the batter. Wherever you put the syrup, your baked brownie will be fudgy. (You can make designs with this part. How fun! )
6. Bake 18-20 minutes at 350F oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean (be careful--the syrup makes it look completely raw in places). Cool brownies completely in pan for 2 hrs. Or until you just can't stand to look at them any more and can't help but dig in. Just be careful not to burn yourself.


*I inserted maraschino cherries here and there,
and had a sort of cordial cherry brownie going on. It was fabulous!

No comments: