Monday, September 28, 2009

Going Dairy-free: Whoopie Pies


Recently I was made aware that acne can be caused by a dairy allergy. On the chance that a dairy sensitivity may be responsible for my skin problems, I'm cutting it out of my diet for 3 weeks--or longer, if my skin clears up. That is a BIG downer for 2 BIG reasons: baking and creaming my coffee. I have found that, while soy milk is fine for cereal, it just doesn't get the job done as a coffee creamer. And I LOVE to bake! Butter and milk are in so many things that my family enjoys, so I'm having to find which substitutes work best in our favorite recipes. Yesterday, I tried dairy-free Whoopie Pies. These amazing little cakey cookies are usually SO yummy, but not this time. :( Well, okay, I shouldn't be so hard on them. They were fine--just not like the last batch that I made! But I'm thinking that it had more to do with the fact that I was out of vanilla.

Because the texture was good, and the mouth-feel was still normal, I'm going to have to say that soy milk works for the milk substitute in this recipe. I'll just have to load it with vanilla or some other flavoring next time.

No comments: