Saturday, June 7, 2008

Simple Paisley Skirt



This is perhaps the quickest, easiest, and most cost-effective sewing project imaginable for a woman. This is two trapezoids of fabric stitched together at the sides, hemmed at the bottom, with an elastic waistband. A drawstring waist would work really well, too, and be just as easy. Just make it according to your waist and hip measurements and however long you want it. And really, if you are patient with your stitches and don't make them too long, you don't even need a sewing machine. The trapezoid shape makes the hem come to two corners. If you wanted a regular hemline, make it a smiley face! There are endless possibilities for the hem...

I adore this fabric. I found it on clearance a few years ago at WM for $1/yd, and this was one of my first sewing projects ever! I've been wearing this skirt since I had the baby, which was almost a year ago. It took most of the yard--we'll call it 2/3. And 1/8" elastic is $1.18/8 yards, and I used about 2/3 yd, so...

Material $.67
Elastic $.11
___________
Total approximately $.78

No comments: