Monday, June 9, 2008

Brown "Smocked" Top

Hmm, I'm really not sure what to call it. Before I found out that with the use of elastic thread I could do real smocking on my sewing machine, I experimented with this method. I took 1/4" elastic, stretched it along the fabric, and stitched rows to it. It turned out okay. But then, yesterday in WM, I discovered the better way to do it, and that I should be able to do it with my sewing machine, and I'm really excited but a little disappointed with the waste of fabric. Well, it's wearable, so I guess it's not a total "waste"!

I have 4 or 5 yards of this fabric. My mom found it in a box of my grandmother's old stuff. I'm excited to have it--it's very retro! I want to make a dress out of it, which is what this was supposed to be but it wasn't full enough around my hips, so it got shortened into a shirt. It has wide straps that are gathered in the front. The cost of the elastic is $1.18/8 yds, and I used about 3 1/3 yds, so about $.53 in elastic was my cost.

No comments: