Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'll Be Back More Now...

...since I'm done with my TABLE!
Here is Pottery Barn's $500 table:

And here's mine:

Okay, so I don't have all the cool candles and great lighting yet, but I'm getting there!

My entire kitchen is a work in progress, and it's starting to feel like I'm actually getting somewhere. I actually wanted this table a little smaller. I held my breath as I pushed it against the wall. It's less than half an inch shorter than the wall! And THANK GOD! I'm really not sure what I would have done if it hadn't fit!

So, if I'd come home and found this table in my kitchen, and knew that the expense to get it there was very minimal and that I didn't have to work for it at all, I'd be tickled pink. Hubby, however, apparently would not be. :) He wasn't very happy that I didn't ask his for advice or help with it, but frankly, I didn't need it (I think he disagrees with that statement solely on principle). I tried to explain to him that sometimes a housewife needs a big project all for herself, but his 8 years of construction experience wouldn't let him see things from my side. The dining table, which will be much like this one but much larger, will not be done all by myself. He insists on it.

So, clearly, I didn't finish the parts that you can't see unless you're sitting on the floor. I also probably should not have photographed them, either, but I did.

I am no good at keeping receipts. In fact, bookkeeping my probably what I'm WORST at. In a way, it's a good thing I'm not making enough money yet to have to pay taxes. Who knows how that's going to go! :) But here's my estimate, based on the checks I wrote and the receipts I can find:

I think the wood was between $20 and $30. For the sake of overestimating, let's say it was $30. Glue, Filler, Stain, Seal, Brushes, and Wood: EASILY under $50, probably more like $40, especially when you consider how much of the stain and sealer I actually used. (I won't have to buy any for a while, that's for sure.)

And here's another fun fact about Ana and Knock Off Wood: she's just received a letter from Pottery Barn's lawyers telling her to knock off knocking-off. She's been blogging 4 months and already has over 3300 followers. No wonder they're nervous!

No comments: