Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pour Spout Canisters

I'd be fibbing if I took the credit for this clever little idea. I'm not entirely sure where it came from. All I know for sure is that when I was in second grade, we had to invent something as a project for school. My dad "helped" me. He said that his grandma used to do make these. 18 years later, when I needed something for my baking soda that isn't the ugly box it came in, I recalled this handy contraption. Here's how you put one of these simple little things together:
1. Start with an empty container with a pour spout, a jar, and a ring. (Or find another place for your salt. The jar, perhaps?)
2. Trace around the ring or flat, and cut the top off. Stay as far away from the spout as you can. Trim your new spout top down to fit inside the ring.

3. Trace around the top onto your fabric or cardstock and cut it out. Also mark where the spout is, and cut that out, too.
This step is entirely optional, but it is a good way to match the decor to your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. (The yellow one is going in my bathroom, and the green flowers go in my kitchen.)
4. Put the whole thing together, and there you go! A jar with a pour spout that matches... whatever!

1 comment:

Susie Chadwick said...

wow, that's really clever!