Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pink Sweater Top Recon Part I: Ruffles

I found a beautiful, soft, pink sweater top at the SA and I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to revamp it. It's a Sag Harbor brand petite medium acrylic knit top, very nice. I know I want ruffles, and I'm thinking about a belt. As I was cutting and sewing, it occurred to me that there are many things that I could do, and many stopping points along the way if I didn't want to do any more. For instance, I could put ruffles on the collar and call it done. That would be fine. And that's what I did today.
However, I'll also probably put a belt on it, some buttons, and maybe make a brooch to go with it. Those will be subsequent Parts. Today, here is Part I: Ruffling the neckline.
1. Lay shirt flat. Cut a straight line up the middle for the new opening.
2. Cut off the collar. Even up any wavy parts, so that it is smooth.
3. VERY CAREFULLY, turn the new raw edge over and hem it. I did the entire front opening and the whole neckline. I'm not sure that this part is actually required, but I wanted a more professional look. Make sure NOT to stretch it AT ALL. Since it's a stretchy material, it will turn out wavy if it stretches as it goes thru the machine.
4. Trim up the pieces that you cut off of the collar. These will be the ruffles.
5. Sew a running stitch down the middle of each part, using very loose tension and long stitches. Pulling the bobbin thread, gather the piece up to the desired length and pin it in place on the collar. I didn't have enough ruffles to cover the whole collar, so I did the two front parts, leaving the back bare.
6. Sew the ruffles to the collar. Remember, don't stretch it!
7. Round off the edges of the ruffles and trim your threads. There ya go! How pretty!

No comments: