My mom gave me a pattern she bought in the '60s for a variety of baby outfits and accessories, and for this dress I used the basic front and back pieces for the pattern's dress. I could have put sleeves on it, but opted not to this time, as it was a dry run. I lined it with some white stretch cotton (like t-shirt material) so that you couldn't see thru it, and used light blue sating ribbon for the ties. I put in one tie at the neckline in the back, and then one long ribbon around the waist to tie in the back.
Things I would have done differently:
*Not used a stretchy material for the lining. I think it would have gone better if I had used another linen material instead of a stretch knit.
*Used a wider ribbon/material for the sash around the waist.
*Added another tie in the back for closing the dress, and put them between the dress fabric and the lining (I stitched them on after I put the dress together).
*Added another blue ribbon around the hem to tie it all together.
*Maybe not stitched the ribbon at the waist to the front of the dress. Maybe only stitched it at the sides as I had originally planned.
Total about $.50
Yay! Talk about saving money on clothes!!